Saturday, February 7, 2009

1-2-2009!

Weekends often mean a trip to my native place, and so was the last one. Though this time such a trip was after many weekends…and the cause simply was the hectic college schedules or acha’s overtime. But finally after a month or so we were again visiting our dear ones. Weekends had always helped us to boost our morale and spirits coz being with people whom you know always makes you feel happy and at ease….but this time though I didn’t feel the same refresh ness. Somewhere down there I felt lonely, out of place ….I guess the reason was simply that I missed my ammayi….I am so used to her chirpy laugh and cheery talks that when I found her presence engulfed within a framed photo I couldn’t resist the rising tears in my eyes and left me with a heavy heart .A house which steamed with noises and laughs, after ammayi’s death  , resembles a haunted house where you could even listen to the small pin forgotten in some corner make its presence felt by its fall .All this was disturbing ….but when u have a couple of small cousins in and around you ,you cant afford to remain sober all the time and soon enough I was playing along with them and smiling at their silly fights and cute faces .But ammayi’s place will remain vacant for the years to come…and ill miss you ammayi …always……

 

With a sneak peak in and around all the houses and making our car’s dickey heavy with coconuts and chakka[jackfruit] ,we turned our wheels back to kochi . Reached here at around 8, amma was not in a good mood …don’t know why and so I was entrusted the duty to make kanji[rice gruel] . I placed the cooker with its contents on the stove and accompanied the rest watching “welcome to sajjanpur”. After some time I heard amma complaining from the kitchen that the water in the cooker was not sufficient and grumbling that I don’t know anything and stuff…lol…Soon enough she too was engrossed in the movie. At around 8:45 she asked me to check if the cooker was making whistles ,I popped up from my seat and went into the kitchen…..I heard the cooker making soft whistles ,but then I saw that the lid was not properly closed ….I just tried to tighten it by adjusting  its position ….and then all what I remember is a “thud” noise and the steamy hot substances all over me…..I couldn’t  guess what was happening as I had almost lost senses …. I screamed achaa….and I saw all three of them rush towards me … I was rushed to the shower ….I couldn’t breath  not coz of the water pouring over me…but just the sheer thought of what had happened just now kept me gasping for breath as if a nightmare had haunted my sleep. Amma was beside me consoling and praying ….I constantly checked my face with my palms to ensure that the skin was intact …. the cool water from the shower kept falling on my face….all this was not enough when…my sis rushes and says that…”acha has slipped over the rice and he is lying motionless on the floor”! At this I couldn’t control myself and burst out along with my mother to the kitchen I found acha on the floor …un able to move….we rushed toward him…amma shook him…but he was in a shock and just kept looking….but as soon as he saw me…he came back to senses …I cried aloud saying…”acha I am fine…don’t worry!” And we both made him stand up….By this time my sis had rushed to our neighbours and they were their to help!...

 

Iwas still made to sit in the shower for about an hour …until I started shivering. My sis applied the honey all over my face and neck which our neighbours had given …so as to prevent the burns…though the heat was reduced I could still feel the hot steams over my face and neck…Acha was fine…but was left with a small bump on his head which was a result of the hard fall…..The skin on my forehead looked dark and red I kept rubbing ice cubes over it…a part of skin over my neck was gone…and was sure to leave a scar…! At around 11 when all the chaos had settled a  bit…acha said he’ll take me to the hospital for the first aid…and I was taken to the medical centre of our company and was greeted with a amicable doctor…he said the burns were fine…don’t worry…and prescribed for some medicines…and some dressing …and yes also a tetanus injection…which left my hand with a pain for days …lol…And soon I was home…at 12 we ate the fresh gruel made by my amma and were ready to sleep……

 

 

One week has gone since this incident …but still I get tremors and find myself gasping for breath when I think of it. Even now when I hear the cooker whistle I get frightened and close my eyes…the fear has gotten into me…with all the calamity that was caused I still believe god was with me…with whose grace things didn’t turn too serious …I don’t have any scar on my face apart from a few dark spots here and there …which has almost vanished by now…the only serious scar is on my neck….which has almost dried…but will need a few months for complete recovery! Ahem … What should I say…it’s a day I don’t want to remember again…but then I wanted to fight my fear out …and so thought of penning in down….for once and for all!...And I am actually feeling good now…this full week i was at home resting , relaxing and recovering from this pain…and now I feel rejuvenated…and back to normal with my skin fresh and new....what remains is the scar on my neck …which will soon fade off [I hope so!]

 

 

Thank you god for being with me…and protecting me from the worst situations. Be with me always …always….!:)

9 comments:

My life is my lesson! said...

Hey,

Ammayi should be seeing you and blessing you all. You see the most sweet people are always dragged back by the almighty just to make sure that we miss them. I miss my grandpa, but they all should be there blessing all of us and missing us too. :)

And the pressure cooker incident, this happened with me with an LPG gas cylinder. My dad had asked me to change the regulator and put it in another cylinder, i did just that but i didn't insert the regulator properly and i heard the sound of gas oozing out of the regulator with high force when i turned on the regulator. I shouted and called Pappa and Mummy and Pappa managed to keep it intact. I was alarmed till Pappa put it back properly. Since then i have never tried doing anything with the gas cylinder and whenever Mummy and Pappa tries changing the cylinder and stuff i would keep asking them to do everything properly and safely. But i think i have overcome that fear for gas cylinders and i can do those things myself, don't really know when i got over it!

:)

JELU said...

oh rash...its so hard to believe that such a bad thing happened to a wonderful person like U...anyway this is life..with so many unexpected terrors and tremors around us.But I am sure that such things are not going to bring ur spirits down since u r too COOOL.At the same time i feel so sad for what had happened to U and I wish that u RECOVER at the earliest.Praying for ur acha too..KETO.
Hey I feel so happy that u penned down the incident simply bcoz it is the best way to reduce ur worries.Good job rash.I m so proud and happy to be the first reader of this blog since i was waiting for long to be the first reader of one of ur BLOGS.Just reached home...thought abt U,found ur offlines and just couldnt resist myself frm reading the blog, as always happens with ur BLOGS.Keep writing, Keep rocking...GET WELL SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON.

destiny's child... said...

I am speechless...even i cant get over it! I will remember that fateful day with terror for years to come...just thankful to god that nothing happened to u.
N yes, well written, i almost relived that disastrous day reading ur post...
all the best and god bless! :)

Kiran.K.R. said...

Have you had that kanji then?
:-)

--xh-- said...

phew! that was a close call... thank god nothing serious happened.. kannil kollendathu purikathu kondu ennu paranja mathiyallo....

angel in disguise.... said...

@my life...
thanks for ur comments ,they were quite comforting,,,:)

@jelu
i am fine yaar...waiting to talk to u!

@destiny's child
hmm...hope such a thing never ever happens again...

@kiran
hahha....the only one who had a funnier aspect...yes i had...happy?;)

@--xh--
hmmm...sherikum...:)n thanks for dropping in here..!

Black Blood... said...

its been long that i had gone through any of the blogs that you nor veena wrote..but when i read this..i was shut mum for sometime..then i came to sense saying "ha rash is fine" Rash..sometimes incidents that change your life or change you mentality to what you normally happens in big packets..and such kind of big packet was this . Which created a big mark on you!!!. But everythign wil be fine and life will be back to normal adn fine day you wil have something to tell to your friends :)..like this in the blog what happened to you and it could have been bigger but stopped sligtly away and everyone are fine :)..Dear get well soon..!!! I hope u have recovered from this shock!!! :)
bye

cya!!!

Akshay said...

Some events do change the way you live and the void a person leaves is always felt by the person who is attached to him/her very closely. I know it is easier said than done but this is how life is.

I am stunned and emotions choked within me and while reading your blog, I was reminded of my own brother who passed away at the age of 19 due to muscular dystrophy.

From the bottom of heart, I am able to empathize with you and I admire your ability to write even in times of crisis. Something that I can never do. At the end of the day, do remember you have a friend within me.

angel in disguise.... said...

@akshay
thanks for ur heart felt comment. I was really touched ,hearing abt ur bro...
dont worry...he would b happy in heaven!
once again thanks for dropping in here...:)